About These Links
Find Articles & More
From Our Files [FAQs]
Ph: (780) 410-8600
Subject Guides Help
and Online Magazines
The library pays thousands of dollars each year for database subscriptions so you can
access them with your SCL Card to...
- Get articles, news, and reviews from trusted publications
- Browse content from hundreds of popular magazines
- Keep up with current trends in business
- Read newspapers from around the world
- Search peer-reviewed material to complete school assignments
- Find health and alternative health information
- View recipes, project patterns, d-i-y building instructions, design ideas,
reading suggestions & more!
The Library purchases these resources from a variety of
database vendors. Our
pricing is based on the population we serve, and on how many people can use each
database at one time. Your SCL card identifies you as a legitimate user under
our contract, and gives you access to the kind of information contained in these
databases, which is often exclusive and not available to the public at large.
Not an SCL cardholder? If you live in
Strathcona County, find out about getting
a card. If you are not a resident of Strathcona County, ask your local
library about databases.
Did you know that the library offers access to
many books electronically? These e-books contain the full text of their print
versions. Ebooks are accessible from anywhere, and they're never overdue. As with databases, the
library pays a subscription fee so our patrons can access these books.
Different eBooks are accessible in
different ways. Some books (those listed as "Reference"
below) can be accessed right in your browser, but not
downloaded. Those from OverDrive, Freading and
OpenLibrary can be downloaded and read on your computer
or a mobile device, but will usually require special
software or an app to do so.
To learn more about our e-books,
see the following:
Database/E-Book Login Instructions
- Select a database title. Databases will open in a new window.
- Login using the barcode from your Strathcona County Library card
(omit any spaces).
Use the last 4 digits of your phone number as your PIN.
- To exit, close your browser window (use the
red "X"). You will be logged out automatically.
If you get an "unauthorized" error message, it could be because
- Your library card has expired, or is soon to expire
- You mis-typed a number
- Your pin doesn't match our files
- The database server is down
If you are having trouble accessing our
databases, it could be one of the following:
For help at any time, try our Information Desk at
(780) 410-8600, or e-mail us at
About these links
These links are selected by our library staff.
We use them to answer questions at our Information Desk and online, and we share
them so that others may use them. The library does not maintain the content of
the sites we link to, and although we do our best to keep our links up to date, in some cases links may point to content that has
changed or disappeared.
Our bookmarks are hosted through the social
bookmarking service Delicious.
You can see all the library's links at our account,
Strathcona County Library, or browse our links by tag:
Still have questions?